24 June, 2018

Ruined Cathedral

I have wanted a terrain piece like this for years.  It is a great centerpiece for post-apocalyptic games I play such as Across the Dead Earth and the upcoming 7TV:Apocalypse.  In addition it can be used for a range of other eras from medieval to modern.

Early in 2018, someone in one of the wargaming groups I follow on Facebook mentioned a terrain manufacturer named Wild Land Store.  After looking at their Facebook page, I communicated with them and asked some questions about their products.  I eventually ordered the cathedral, a smaller intact church and 2 bus stops.  Wild Land is located in Ukraine and were very helpful in arranging payment and in less than 2 weeks I had my terrain.  I highly recommend them.

I will note that there are not any written instructions.  However they sent me pictures from different angles and the small number of parts made it easy to put together.  Each wall is 2 pieces of MDF (1 for each side), and the wall supports each have 2 pieces.  It was very easy to assemble.

The detail is cut fairly deep and really lent itself to drybrushing.  I sprayed it black to prime it and added some black paint on spots that didn't get enough coverage.  I drybrushed a dark gray, a medium gray and a light gray in succession.  After painting the outer area brown, I applied static grass and added some bushes.  I also wanted to add some vines, so after consulting the Facebook group Tabletop Commanders Forum, I used pva and flock.  I think it turned out well.

Most of the pictures have 28mm miniatures from Studio Miniatures or Dead Earth Games to show the scale.  When I took these pictures yesterday morning it was cloudy and so the light varies.  The actual color is what you see in the brighter photos.








One of the good things about this building is that it is really 4 separate pieces.  You can use all or some of them in a game.  It also makes storage much easier.








2 comments:

  1. That looks pretty cool. Nice job.
    It’s my first time on your blog, so I’m having a nice look around. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the vines, too. This thing is HUGE. Do you have a box for it to fit in? haha

    ReplyDelete