02 March, 2022

Ruins and Rocky Ground Terrain Pieces

One of my ongoing projects has been to improve my terrain collection.  The primary goal is to cover all the terrain possibilities for my Saga games, though most of the pieces are usable for other games and periods.  In 2021 I bought a set of terrain pieces from Terrains4Games.  Included in the set were 6 area templates that I could use for woods, rocky areas or ruins by placing different pieces on top.  At the end of 2021 I got a bunch of new trees by 4Ground secondhand but unopened.  They are great trees but no longer appear on their website so are likely out of production.

In July 2021 I bought some resin terrain pieces from Acheson Creations.  They have a wide range of items and are my first stop when I am looking for terrain.  The owner is retiring at the end of May so I encourage you to take a look and order something before then.  Part of my order consisted of pieces to use for ruins and rocky areas.  After finishing an army project in late February 2022, I was motivated to paint them.  After running them through the dishwasher on the gentle cycle to remove any mold release, I spray painted everything black.  Next I used thinned black craft paint to cover any areas I missed. 

Hellenistic thureophoroi advancing past eight ruined columns, painted with successively lighter shades if gray until I was satisfied with the look.  The final coat was Vallejo Silver Gray.  The stones surrounding the pillars were painted in various shades of gray.  The columns will also be useful in my Stargate project.

I drybrushed the 12 boulders in various shades of gray craft paint.  Next I coated the base with glue, then dipped them into brown ballast.  When that dried, I used glue to add patches of flock and bushes.


Two of the Terrains4Games templates as rocky areas with boulders and some 28mm Vikings for scale.

Various types of stone walls and pillars.  First drybrushed a dark and medium gray, then I painted some of the individual stones in one of 3-4 different shades of gray for variety.


Two of the Terrains4Games templates as ruins with 28mm Vikings for scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment