I had so much fun playing my first game of Dragon Rampant with my friend Mike at Historicon that after returning home I started thinking about painting a second army to go with my Dark Elves. While I have plenty of humans from various eras that I could use, I wanted another straight fantasy army.
Who doesn't like dwarves? After looking around a bit, I settled on using the plastic Dwarf infantry sets that North Star makes for their Oathmark rules. They have three different infantry sets with varying amounts of armor. I bought the Heavy & Light Infantry boxes from Griffons Lair via Ebay.
After experimenting with assembling a unit of heavy foot, I bought the Infantry box from Badger Games. I also got some shield transfers, flags, a pack of 3 North Star metal dwarves (king, wizard, & musician), and a wizard and burglar set by Gripping Beast. How could I resist having Gandalf in my army? I am pretty disappointed that the top part of Gandalf's staff was already broken off. It looks too thin to pin back together, so there may not be a Gandalf after all.
So far I have:
Painted 10 of the heavy dwarves, they are waiting for their bases to be finished.
Assembled and 50% painted 12 archers.
Assembled 12 infantry and have painted the armor.
I like to have multiple groups at different stages so that there is always something to do. I haven't forgotten about the dark elves, I've finished touching up 8 of them and am doing the basing today. I want to make sure I like how the bases look before doing any more.
Woohoo Jason!! The Dwarves go marching on!!
ReplyDeleteYou're flying along on the dwarves, Jason! Great progress. Somewhere down the line, I may pick up Warhost's new dwarves, but that would be a 2027 purchase.
ReplyDelete