05 January, 2019

28mm Oil Rig - Under Construction

In mid-2018 I was brainstorming ideas for a convention game for Historicon 2019.  My thoughts turned to unbuilt models I had; top of the list was a large oil or mining rig from a kickstarter by wargame model mods (http://www.wargame-model-mods.co.uk/) that had arrived in December2017 and was still in the shipping box.  After talking it over with my friend Mike while we were at Historicon in July, I had the outlines of a scenario.

Over Christmas break I finally started putting the rig together.  After several nights of work I finished on January 4th.  This is by far the largest model I’ve built.  Fortunately the pieces fit together well and the instructions were good with lots of pictures, because there were a lot of parts.  The building doors slide open, which is a nice touch.  It is easier to store than you would think, the pieces come apart so I can fit the 5 legs, the walkways and the small platform in one box and the large platform is one large piece.

I still have to paint it and I have been looking at photographs of real oil rigs to get color ideas.  I have plenty of time to playtest which was one of my reasons for building it now.  I will have to buy some more spray paint!  Potential uses are an oil rig for modern or post-apocalypse games.

There are several 28mm miniatures in the pictures to give an idea of the scale.  Can you find them?
 
 
  







1 comment: